Saturday, October 22, 2011

Bountiful Baskets

I know I've told many people how awesome Bountiful Baskets is but I thought I'd make a post about it.  It's a volunteer program with pick-up locations nationwide.  You can get fresh fruit & vegetables for a great price.  I've noticed that since we started using them, we have started eating a lot more fruits & vegetables.  I've even started using things I've never tasted before, like egg plant & figs.  We also LOVE the 9-grain bread that Bountiful Baskets offers.

Ok, so here's how it works.  You go to the wesite http://www.bountifulbaskets.org & sign up.  Then on Mondays you can order your basket along with the location that you want to pick it up at.  The following Saturday, you go to the pickup location you chose, during the specified time & pick up your basket.  The only thing they ask is that you volunteer to help once every 6 months.  Volunteering consists of helping to unload the food from the truck & separate it into separate baskets.  It takes about an hour, prior to the pickup time.

So, if you want to place an order, you have to purchase a basic basket for $15 (you can upgrade it to an organic basket for an additional $10).  Then there are other "add-ons" that you can order.  I always pickup 1 order of 5 loaves of 9-grain bread for $10.  They also offer add-ons like granola, fruit lovers pack, veggie lovers pack, mexican pack, oriental pack, honey whole wheat bread, banana bread ... Every week is different.

Now when you place your order, you won't know exactly what you're going to get in that weeks basket but it's always good stuff.  My family thinks it's kind of fun to see what we end up with each week.




This week I bought 1 basket, a pack of 9-grain bread, & a fruit lovers pack.  This is what I got.

5 loaves of delicious 9-grain bread.


Fruit Lovers pack


A Basic Basket


All together



So, for $35 I got 5 loaves of bread, 1 head of romaine lettuce, 1 celery, 5 vine ripened tomatoes, 6 sweet potatoes, 2 avacados, 1 garlic, 1 cello pack mushrooms, 10 bananas, 14 apples, 1 orange, 2 bags of grapes, 10 pears & 4 plumes.

I haven't figured out exactly how much this would have cost me at the grocery store but figuring that the bread alone would have cost about $20, I think I saved quite a bit.

If you want to know more about Bountiful Baskets, you can check out their website or leave me a comment & I'll be happy to respond to you.










1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this...I've been considering doing bountiful baskets, and was curious about how much I would save vs. what I would spend at the store. This helps break it down!

    ReplyDelete