Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Creme Brulee French Toast

My husband loves having breakfast for dinner so that's when we had this but I think it would also be perfect for breakfast Christmas morning.  When I planned this meal, I figured that my family can eat about 9 slices of french toast so since this recipe used less than 5 slices of bread I would need to double this recipe.  Boy was I wrong.  It's such a filling meal that we didn't even finish the 1st casserole dish.  My kids loved this but of course had to have syrup on it.  However, it definitely doesn't need syrup.  The layer of sugar on the bottom is a perfect substitute for syrup.



Lightened Up Creme Brulee French Toast

Servings: 6    Serving Size: 1/6th   
Old Points: 7pts   Points +: 9pts
Calories: 310.9   Fat: 5.6g   Carb: 59.9g
Fiber: 0.2g   Protein: 13.1g



  • 1c unpacked brown sugar
  • 1/4c water
  • cooking spray
  • 10oz Challah bread, sliced 1" thick (I couldn't find Challah bread so I used a potato loaf.  Really, I think most breads would work fine).
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1c egg substitute
  • 1 1/2c 1% Milk
  • 1 1/2t vanilla extract
  • 1t Meyers rum (optional) (I didn't use the rum but it'd give it a nice "Banana's Foster" flavor) 
  • 1/4t salt
  • 1t powdered sugar
  • 1t cinnamon, divided
In a small heavy saucepan, melt brown sugar and water over moderate-low heat, stirring until smooth and melted, about 1 minute, then pour into a 13x9" baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Arrange bread slices into one layer in the baking dish, squeezing them slightly to fit.

 I have no idea why this photo is rotated.  Sorry



In a large bowl whisk together eggs, egg substitute, milk vanilla, rum, 1/2t cinnamon, and salt until combined well & pour evenly over bread. 


Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350' and bring bread to room temperature.

Bake uncovered, in the middle of oven until puffed and edges are pale golden, 40 to 50 minutes.  (If you get any large bubbles, you'll want to pop them so that they cook inside).

Top with cinnamon and powdered sugar.  





No comments:

Post a Comment