Sunday, August 26, 2012

Vitamin D3 supplements


I don't usually post about supplements or other health related stuff but when I run across something that has truly changed my life, I have to tell everyone about it.  

A little background information.  I've suffered from horrible migraines since my teens.  I've tried many drugs & none of them really made a difference.  The only thing I found was if I took Excedrin at the first sign of a possible migraine, I could sometimes keep it down to headache status.  I seriously was taking Excedrin everyday of my life.  After I got pregnant I had to stop taking the Excedrin & started taking Tylenol.  Tylenol helped about as much as a "Smartie" would have.  Over the last few years, it got to the point that I was averaging 2 severe migraines per week & a painful headache every single day.  The migraines would leave me extremely light sensitive, my face would droop slightly on the side the migraine was on, I was sick to my stomach, & unable to function as a mother.  

My husband was watching a lecture by Dr Stasha Gominak, about sleep disorders & vitamin D3.  While watching it, she mentioned that it could help migraines so I decided to give it a try.

I started taking 5000IU per day.  It took about 3 or 4 days before I started noticing that the headaches were lessening.  I was pretty skeptical, at first, but after the 1st month I looked back & realized that I hadn't had a single migraine.  The headaches weren't as frequent & when I did get them, they were significantly less painful & I could treat them with a single dose of Tylenol.  

It has now been over 1 year since I started taking vitamin D3 & I haven't had a single migraine!  Some days I'll forget to take my vitamin & I won't even realize it til I start to feel that old familiar tingle, telling me that a migraine will be coming in the next 24 hours.  When that happens, I take 10,000IUs & then start back onto my daily 5000IUs.  

Now I'm not telling you to blindly follow me & I know this won't help everyone but for me this is what I needed to get rid of my migraines.  Hopefully someone will read this & be able to benefit from it like I have.


For anyone interested, here are the links to Dr. Stasha Gominak's lecture.  It's pretty long so it's in multiple parts.  I confess that I haven't even watched the whole thing (even though it is very interesting).  I let my husband watch it then show me the parts relating to migraines.

No comments:

Post a Comment